Students can use many types of devices with SmartClass. Here is a list of compatible devices.
By Pierre Emond
Date of Creation: 2019-11-14
Last Update: 2023-02-24
SmartClass supports several different devices as student stations, including:
- Windows Based devices, PC, laptops, all-in-ones and tablets.
- Mac OS computers and laptops.
- iOS and iPadOS devices (iPads, iPhones, iPods).
- Android-based devices (SmartPhones,Tablets, Chromebook and Chromebox).
Student Software variations
There are 3 categories of SmartClass student software for student station support:
|AIR Client||Air+ Client|
|Mac OS X||☑️|
The Native, AIR and AIR+ software support virtually all of the SmartClass features and capabilities, but differ with some specific support items as noted below:
|Features||Native (Fix or BYOD) Client||AIR Client||AIR+ Client|
|View all Apps.||☑️||☑️||☑️|
|Power Stations (ON & OFF)||☑️||☑️|
|Automatic Fixed connection||☑️||☑️|
The other significant difference between Native and AIR/AIR+ clients is that the Native clients are capable of directly accessing the SmartClass database (and therefore need network access privileges), so they can open directly their accounts.
The AIR/AIR+ clients must work with a server to access the database (do not require network access privileges). AIR/AIR+ clients will need the teacher LIVE, BYOD Manager or Web Manager to open their accounts.
Native and BYOD Configurations
There are two versions of native clients for Windows:
- Fixed – In a fixed classroom scenario, specific student devices are associated with a fixed teacher station. This model applies to fixed classrooms and mobile carts having a cart-based teacher station. This software module should be used for all fixed installations.
- BYOD – BYOD is a contraction for Bring Your Own Device. This scenario applies to installations in which students bring their own devices to class – and can therefore connect to different teacher stations. Or, this model also applies to situations in which teachers bring their own teacher stations to class. This software module should be used in conjunction with the BYOD Manager. Ideally, all students have the same model of devices, issued and managed by the school. For example Windows Laptops, or MAC Laptops. Having a standard device for all assures even performance for all students.
AIR & AIR+ Clients: AIR and AIR+ clients support both FIXED and BYOD configurations.
The AIR clients are ideal for devices having limited computing power and resources, while the more capable AIR-PLUS clients are optimal for higher-performance client devices. Or when sharing the SmartClass Server folder to student devices is not possible.
If you have any questions about which scenario applies in your institution, please check with your system administrator. You must choose the appropriate SmartClass Student software version.
Contact us if you would like more information.